The effects of barley
- Barley is high in fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, iron and zinc.
It lowers blood cholesterol.
Average quantity per 100g of barley:
- 10 g protein
- 71 g carbohydrates
- 2 g fat
- 13 g dietary fibre
easy and quick vegan recipes big pot of vegan ragout vegan goulash vegan recipes vegetarian vegan barley
Recipe: vegan barley
Ingredients for approx 8 servings
- 350g barley groats
- 1 package of frozen spinach
- 5 tomatoes (or 2 cans of diced tomatoes)
- 3 onions
- 8 garlic cloves
- a piece of ginger (big as a huge thumb)
- dried parsley
- tandoori masala spice
- vegetable oil
- plain flour
what vegans eat vegan recipes vegan lunch easy vegan recipes vegan barley
Method: vegan barley
- Prepare the barley two or three days in advance: put it into a big bowl, rinse several times and wash away the dirt, leave it soaking in water and keep replacing the water 1-2 times a day.
- On the day of cooking: take a huge pot, add 5 tablespoons of oil and set the stove to 1/3 of power.
- Add two teaspoons of carravay and 3 tablespoons of tandoori masala. Fry it for 4 minutes and occasionally stir up.
- Add diced onions, garlic and ginger. Fry for 5 minutes.
- Add three cups of boiling water, diced tomatoes and frozen spinach.
- Increase the power of the cooker to 2/3 and fry everything for another 10 minutes.
- Create a thickener: stir up two tablespons of flour in a cup with warm water and pour it into the pot.
- Add a decant barley, salt and two liters of boiling water.
- Put a lid onto the pot and boil for another 20 minutes with occassioanl stirring.
- Turn off the cooker and let the pot calm down a little bit.
You can relish your portion with soy sauce. I reccomend those naturally fermented, with high amount of soy beans and without sugar.
vegan recipes barley vegetarian recipes tandoori masala vegan
The outcome: vegan barley
Very tasty, spicy and mouthwatering .
The groats don’t have any significant flavour, however they make the meal softer.
I rate this combination as 9,5 of 10. 😀